Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Tuesday's Trust - May the Lord Shepherd You in Your Grief







Tuesday's Trust 

May the Lord Shepherd You in Your Grief










Psalm 23 contains some of the most-quoted verses in the Bible. Often they are used at funerals, perhaps even at your child’s funeral. 
After attending the conference this last weekend and attending a workshop by Linda Stirling, I feel that the Lord is challenging me to share my thoughts with you, just as Linda shared her thoughts with so many of us. 

For the next seven days, I will share a portion of Psalm 23. My challenge to you is to read the words, mull over them, let them roll around in your mind and make their way down to your heart. In doing so, the Lord will simultaneously do what He does best…. Shepherd your pain and heal your wounds.

Here we go, are you ready?

The Lord is My Shepherd. 

This picture encapsulates what I imagine when I think of Jesus as my Shepherd. I am safe in His arms. I am loved in His arms. I am held and cherished. All of me. Every inch. Every ounce. Every beauty. Every moment of ugliness. Every joy. Every sorrow. And as this lamb smiles, the Shepherd smiles greater still as He loves, adores, cherishes and cares for me.

Take some time today. Think about your Shepherd.


~2012: Love and Loss


~~~






~~~






~~~






Psalm 23 contains some of the most-quoted verses in the Bible. Often they are used at funerals, perhaps even at your child’s funeral. 
After attending the conference this last weekend and attending a workshop by Linda Stirling, I feel that the Lord is challenging me to share my thoughts with you, just as Linda shared her thoughts with so many of us. 

For the next seven days, I will share a portion of Psalm 23. My challenge to you is to read the words, mull over them, let them roll around in your mind and make their way down to your heart. In doing so, the Lord will simultaneously do what He does best…. Shepherd your pain and heal your wounds.

Here we go, are you ready?

The Lord is My Shepherd. 

This picture encapsulates what I imagine when I think of Jesus as my Shepherd. I am safe in His arms. I am loved in His arms. I am held and cherished. All of me. Every inch. Every ounce. Every beauty. Every moment of ugliness. Every joy. Every sorrow. And as this lamb smiles, the Shepherd smiles greater still as He loves, adores, cherishes and cares for me.

Take some time today. Think about your Shepherd.


~2012: Love and Loss



~~~

The Lord is my Shepherd; I shall not want.

~Psalm 23:1


~~~





Day Three of Psalm 23: My Shepherd Restores My Soul

Restoration comes one moment at a time, one day at a time, one week at a time, one month at a time, one year at a time. Restoration comes as we release our pain to the One who longs to relieve us of our pain. 

He has restored my soul. And although it has been 23 years since I've seen my daughter, and gentle tears sometimes fall, I can say that He has done what I never imagined possible.

Trust Him...


~2012: Love and Loss 


~~~





Day Four of Psalm 23: My Shepherd Guides Me

Jesus wants to guide us through our grief. He knows the Valley of the Shadow of Death is filled with twists and turns. Obstacles and troubles. Pain and sorrow.

He wants to use His staff to guide us when we don't know what to do. He wants to use His staff to prod us when we feel like we can't get out of bed or to take the next step.

Even more importantly, He wants to guide us with His love. Will you let Him today?


~2012: Love and Loss 


~~~


He maketh me to lie down in green pastures;
He leadeth me beside the still waters.

~Psalm 23:2


~~~






Day Five of Psalm 23: My Shepherd Leads Me to Still Waters

Water is life. We were nurtured in water before we were born. Our Lord wants to nurture us in water. Near water. 

Water gives life. It provides what we need to survive. Our Lord wants to be that water for us. 

Water brings peace. Our Lord wants to take our surging emotions and bring us to a place of calm serenity. He closes the emotional sea behind the doors of still water.


~2012: Love and Loss



~~~





Day Six of Psalm 23: My Shepherd Walks with Me

He walks with me through the Valley of the Shadow of Death. He is with us when we face death. He is with us after the loss. He is with us through the deep darkness. He is with us when we emerge into the light.


~2012: Love and Loss



~~~





Day Seven of Psalm 23: My Shepherd Pursues Me

How thankful I am that I am not alone in my grief. The Lord sees me. The Lord loves me. The Lord pursues me. He comes down to where I am and says, "I am here. I am with you. I will not leave your side." 

There is no greater joy in knowing that I matter that much to Him. That my child mattered that much to Him.


~2012: Love and Loss



~~~~





He restoreth my soul; He leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for His name's sake.

~Psalm 23:3



~~~




Yea, though I walk through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I wilt fear no evil, for Thou art with me; Thy rod and Thy staff, they comfort me.

~Psalm 23:4




~~~






~~~





Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemy; Thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.

Surely goodness and mercy will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.

~Psalm 23: 4-5










Graphics, thanks to ~2012: Love and Loss, and ~Hers to Treasure

TwitThis

No comments:

Post a Comment