Monday, March 26, 2012

Tuesday's Trust - Grief's Battle Scars



"The eternal glory that is in store for you far surpasses your present troubles."
~2 Corinthians 4:17



Tuesday's Trust


Grief's Battle Scars





Words to my beloved daughter today, days before what-would-be her 25th birthday, though to me she will be "Forever-19":



When you were here, I fought to keep you alive. Now you are gone, I must battle through this grief of losing you...


Perhaps my scars and grief wounds amidst these battles serve as signs of my deep, deep love for you. From fighting a war to keep you alive to fighting through this loss of you, perhaps my scars serve as badges of honor, as if I've been awarded "battle stripes" of a mother's love amidst wars I never ever wanted to fight, and never, ever thought I would have to fight.


It seems, the deeper my love, the deeper my scars.


The deeper my scars, the deeper my plunge at the Savior's feet.


The deeper my plunge, the deeper His love reaches to bring me sweet relief


amidst these harrowing, bewildering, and exhausting grief wars.




*****




God's Word seems to declare this same truth, that our scars of such hard-fought love will prove to be "battle stripes" of a sort, rewarded to us throughout eternity:


"This momentary… affliction is producing for you an eternal weight of glory far beyond all comparison."


~2 Corinthians 4:17





"I am tenderhearted towards all that I have made."

~Psalm 145:9









Pictures thanks to 365promises.com
Inspired by a quote from Lynn Caine in her grief book, Widow:
"Acceptance finally comes, And with it comes peace. Today I carry the scars of my bitter grief. In a way I look upon them as "battle stripes...."

TwitThis

No comments:

Post a Comment