Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Wednesday's Woe - Narcissism in Grief?




Wednesday's Woe


Narcissism in Grief?


or


Would You Call a Patient in Intensive Care "Narcissistic" or "Doing What's Necessary to Heal"?





Yes, I am egocentric these days

I think it must come with grief's territory.

I muddle through each day in a haze;

Grief is its own form of purgatory.




It is not the same as narcissism,

For I feel deep grief for others too.

It's more that grief is a full-time prison,

Leaving little room for a grander view.




I heard myself telling my son today

"Daddy and I aren't the same as before..."


Grief demands of me in every way...

It's like I'm away at battle...in Grief's War!




Changes come hard for my whole family,

Her leaving here took a part of our hearts.

Normal life has taken a shattering;

We walk among shards that slice us apart.




It's hard to tell others what to expect,

For when she crashed, life-as-we-knew-it wrecked!


There's protocol for when bones break apart...

Is there "Intensive Care" for broken hearts?


One doesn't begrudge a patient time to heal;

So please don't begrudge broken hearts time to feel!





"Daddy and I aren't the same as before...

My brain can contain Grief but not much more!"




Narcissistic? No. Egocentric? Yes.

"Hearts' Intensive Care" deserves nothing less!












Picture found on twitpic.com thanks to @LillyAnn
Poem - Narcissism in Grief? - Angie Bennett Prince - 5/1/10

TwitThis

1 comment:

Diana Doyle said...

Great post and so true about how patients are given time to heal. I just had this exact conversation with my cousin who lost her son 8 years ago and doesn't get much compassion these days. I will send her your link. with love and a hug. Diana Doyle
http://sunshineinabluecup.blogspot.com

Post a Comment